September 28, 2024

Mini SKI Skate [Flashback Archive] | VP 360

Mini Ski Skate | Circa. 1994 (video from 2010s)
I began salvagin old skis, dumpster diving.  Summer & Fall I would ski leavy slopes, wetlands, and gravel pits.  That's right GRAVEL PITS! waiting in earnest for the snow to fall.  in the late 80's, early 90's I had a motley crew of friends that traveled up & down the Appalachian Slopes - experimenting with mini-ski-skates that were yet to hit the market... My prototypes: Hacksawed K2 Skis to 30" & Throwaway Clip Boots were permanently screwed or bolted together... 1994 (freshmen year of college), I worked spuratically at a ski resort in Wisconsin called Telemark Ski Resort (Internationally known for the Birkebeiner Ski Race).  It was here that I began to flip these skiis and test extensively the maneuverability of them on slopes, behind snowmobiles, horses, 4 wheelers and whatever vehicle could pull me.  I had a little bit of entrepeneurial buzz, having previously run my own commercial/residential lawn business, and hustling smoked venison jerky on the side.  Building my own Mini-Ski-Skate business never took off.  But I still dream of running my own ski resort one day ~ Mountainrouski @ Hyonahil.  [My apologies for the poor video quality - old film]

VP | 360